Jason Parr and Paul Johnson – Sales Tax
A Little About Jason Parr:
President and CEO of Peisner Johnson, a State and Local Tax Consulting Firm. “We are the sales tax people”… we help companies gain peace of mind when it comes to sales and uses tax obligations. Parr has been with the firm for 25 years, starting as a staff assistant in 1996. He grew up in the firm and has deep knowledge regarding the pitfalls and successes of dealing with state and local taxes.
In this episode of The Millionaire’s Lawyer, JP, Jason Parr, and Paul Johnson discuss:
Jason and Paul mention how things have greatly changed in the Tax world over the last few years.
E-Commerce has made a great impact on how the government and states are looking at taxing businesses.
- Tax on a transaction
- 6% to 12% depending on the jurisdiction
- Different per state
- Huge deal, aka, Margin Killer, if the sales tax is unpaid
- Can ruin selling your business should you not be compliant
In 2018 there was a Taxation case in the Supreme Courts in regards to where corporations are required to be registered and compliant
Jason and Paul state how important it is to have confidence regarding your taxation and make sure you have all jurisdictions covered in which you may be collecting tax.
Collaboration builds confidence, outsource what you are not an expert in
“What’s Next?” Call
- Do I have Nexus?
- Is what I have taxable in that jurisdiction? / Fully-taxable or partial?
- How do I sell?
- Market place Facilitator
- If you are using a place like Amazon, they do this for you.
- Market place Facilitator
Each state taxes differently, Jason provides the example of Supplements
- In some states, the Supplements are fully taxable
- In others, they are only partially taxable.
- You are responsible to know this.
Jason and Paul mention that there is software out there to help track
There are Monthly and Quarterly remittances
Make sure you are set up now for when you need to get there, prepare for the growth ahead of time.
Manage where you are and set up the automation for that, and then when you expand add that into the automated system.
Both Jason and Paul feel like the Government is going to become a little bit more aggressive in regards to the corporations that are not compliant, and even those who are yet to be registered in the correct jurisdiction.
Remain consistent in your Core Values
It is hard to successfully multi-task, slow down and become really good at one thing.
From this episode of The Millionaires Lawyer with Jason Parr and Paul Johnson:
- You have to be registered and compliment in every jurisdiction your clients are
- Tax laws have greatly changed over the last three years with the introduction of successful e-commerce
- Taxes are not something you are able to push off