Meghan Freed – Lockdown Growth
A Little About Meghan Freed:
Meghan Freed is co-founder of Freed Marcroft Law Practice – a divorce and family law firm focused on helping people process their divorce easily and get their lives back.
Since founding it in 2012, they’ve made it to Inc 5,000 fastest-growing privately-held companies list two years in a row. They’ve also made the Law Firm 500 list every year since 2017.
What makes Meghan different is that she gets relationships.
As you or your spouse decides to divorce, change is obviously coming but it’s up to you whether you use it to intentionally create the life you want to live. She believes that it can often be an opportunity for growth and joy for both sides.
In this episode of The Millionaire’s Lawyer, JP and Meghan Freed discuss:
The pandemic has caused a lot of law firms to learn how to navigate from a remote perspective
This meaning, Meghan had to really focus on her leadership skills and make sure that her business was running very predictably with processes and procedures.
Meghan and JP noted how much their calendars had opened up with the ability to do a lot of their meetings virtually, and how that is now the normal way for a meeting to be held.
- Virtual meeting via ZOOM or teleconference is the first option
- In-person meetings are offered if asked for
- With everything being virtual it opens up the hiring pool as well – you can find a better employee fit in another city!
Doing a lot of the meetings virtually allows Meghan to open up the range of clients she can service, as they don’t have to be within driving distance anymore.
Virtual Meetings allow for so much more flexibility within the schedules for both the professional and the client
- It is a lot more time-efficient
- There is no more drive time, no more parking time, no travel and walking time.
- You only have to set aside the time the meeting starts to the time the meeting ends, not the 45 minutes before and after.
Meghan and JP discuss how there are some downsides however to everything being done virtually, and how it is mainly the Court System that has been suffering.
- Court bookings are backlogged
- You miss out on the body language
- Missed facial expressions
- Hard to discuss with other councils when you aren’t able to catch them in the hallways anymore
Meghan, who is a Family Law Lawyer, noted that with COVID there was a rise in:
- Domestic violence
- Conflictive divorces
- Divorces that are unable to be resolved without the courts.
To try and combat that, she had created a Divorce Package that included Medication to try and avoid losing full control over the case and to speed up the process for the clients.
One of the big things that Meghan had to focus on during the shift from in-office to remote is Staff Coordination:
- She had to restructure the daily workflow
- Increased staff meetings
- Increased Management meetings
- Created predictable workflow
- Case management with systems that everyone is aware of
From this episode of The Millionaires Lawyer with Meghan Freed:
- The pandemic is a great time to navigate the dark corners of your business
- Leadership is more important now than ever before
- There has been a huge shift in the norm of appointments now