Scott Lorenz – Generating Your PR
A Little About Scott Lorenz:
Book publicist Scott Lorenz is President of Westwind Communications, a public relations and marketing firm that has a special knack for working with authors to help them get all the publicity they deserve and more. Lorenz works with bestselling authors and self-published authors promoting all types of books, whether it’s their first book or their 15th book. He’s handled publicity for books by CEOs, CIA Officers, Navy SEALS, Homemakers, Fitness Gurus, Doctors, Lawyers, and Adventurers. His clients have been featured by Good Morning America, FOX & Friends, CNN, ABC News, New York Times, Nightline, TIME, PBS, LA Times, USA Today, Washington Post, Woman’s World, & Howard Stern to name a few.
In this episode of The Millionaire’s Lawyer, JP and Scott Lorenz discuss:
Scott is well known for his successes in Public Relations with authors and keeping their product moving.
Scott’s written a book to help authors title their book called Book Title Generator.
Keys to having a Good Book Title:
- Make it Memorable
- Make it Descriptive
- Tell them the Genre
- Make sure it’s searchable so use keywords in the title
For Timeless Books:
- Authors may need to Retitle their books
- Change the content, make it relevant for the reader today and in the future
- Get a current Copywrite date
Scott outlines the process once you have the cover to your book as follows:
- You need to get good, positive reviews for your book
- Enter award competitions
- Get publicity on TV, Radio, Newspapers, Magazines
- Create a book trailer
- Create a social media presence to get people interested in your book
JP and Scott talk about all the different kinds of marketing, and that Book Marketing is one of the hardest and most challenging types of marketing in the promotion space.
When you are marketing, Scott Lorenz mentions that you need to gain a bigger profile, you need to gain more followers, gain more eyes, and then market your heart out to your target market.
The media and the consumers are always looking for something new.
- New Product
- New Method
- New Procedure
- New everything
Scott Lorenz mentions how important it is to know what is happening in the news because you can tie into current breaking news with the right pitch.
Lorenz says you can tie into these recurrent events.
- Holidays, Thanksgiving, Easter, Passover, July 4th etc.
- Cancer Awareness month or other ‘disease’ months that happen every year
A lesson that he would like to pass on is a lot of businesses need to keep their foot on the gas, the second you start marketing less is the second your business will be less profitable.
If you don’t know how to promote your book or business then hire someone who does.
Scott tells all businesses to market as if they had no business. Lorenz says you must keep the pipeline of new business full so you don’t suddenly find yourself with no business.
From this episode of The Millionaires Lawyer with Scott Lorenz:
- You must demonstrate your expertise to get new business
- Free PR or Public Relations is most economical over paid advertising
- You can use PR to help win in the court of public opinion
- If you are writing a book, the title is most important
- Lorenz has worked with Navy Seals, CIA agents, and others in the Military
- Lorenz worked with the client’s mother who was in a Borat movie who was suing the director
- Lorenz likes business and marketing books
- If you want to continue to be successful in business you must keep marketing
- You must stay current with the latest marketing techniques. (who uses the Yellow Pages anymore?)
- Sometimes you need to try different marketing ideas to see if they work.